Grow Your Own Peanut Butter

Tuesday, September 16, 2008


I always thought of peanuts as warm-climate plants that need a huge amount of growing space. Seems I wasn't exactly right--good news for all of you! They've been found growing high in the Andes mountains, and they're even grown commercially in Canada. You can grow them in a child's plastic wading pool and even in a deep plastic dishpan on your patio or balcony.

The Mother Earth News has a terrific article on growing peanut plants, complete with resources for seeds. I've got to measure my back yard now to see how many peanut plants I can fit there next spring. It's never too early to start planning, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I live in chilly Upstate NY and have much similar concerns about growing peanuts. Thanks for the link! I'll check it out. I'd love to grow them myself.

Rachel said...

What a great idea. I have had no success with my tomatoes this summer so maybe I need to try something completely different!

Anonymous said...

Peanut plants make a wonderful first time plant for children to grow - or an interesting plant for anyone who likes a lot of action and quick growth. They are best grown with the shell left on and placed in a small to medium flowerpot in compost or ordinary soil. Place the nut in the shell just below the surface. When it first pushes through the earth it resembles a little old man with a hat on from then on it grows swiftly with lovely lacy leaves (a member of the pea family) it has a profusion of orange/yellow flowers which gather around its base.
You can tell I'm a fan ... we used to grow one after another in the office!

Rob Monroe said...

Thanks for that link! This sounds like a much more exciting plant for my house than the stupid Aloe.