Naturally More Peanut Butter

Sunday, November 23, 2008

The kind folks at Naturally More sent me a jar of their peanut butter to try. I have to admit I was skeptical, after all their tag line is "what peanut butter should be," and that's a pretty tall order to fill.

Naturally More contains 25% more protein and 50% more fiber than regular peanut butter. They've added egg whites, wheat germ, and flax seed. That sounds healthy, but not necessarily yummy.

After stirring the peanut butter I gave it my knife test: does the peanut butter drip off the knife because it's got a bit too much oil? Yep. Runny peanut butter is never a happy thing for me.

I struggled to keep an open mind, and took out a spoon for a straight-from-the-jar test. Gritty. Again, not a happy thing for me. But the flavor was good! And in spite of the unpleasant texture, there's something compelling, almost addictive, about the flavor. I usually save good-tasting but bad-textured peanut butter for baking, but I've eaten almost half of the jar with a spoon.

The fact that it's full of flax seed and flax oil is a huge plus. Highly recommended as a mega-food, people add flax to their diet to boost their immune systems, fight cancer, and improve cardiovascular health. I'll be buying a replacement jar of Naturally More soon. I might try the organic variety, and they also have an almond butter product. I didn't expect it to work out this way, but I'm such a fan now I may spring for one of each!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good way to get more flax into my diet. Great review.

Jenn said...

I think I'd take the health benefits over the grittiness and consistency...and I'm really interested to try their almond butter.

Anonymous said...

I just bought that about a week ago. I am a peanut butter fan, and I normally make it myself. I guess out of being lazy I bought a jar. I agree with everything you said about the texture, oil, and 100% with the taste. I was almost in disbelief with the taste and the health benefits. Something that taste so good be healthy..

Lauren said...

Thanks for reviewing this product, PB boy! I've seen it at a few health food store, but never shelled out the cash for adulterated potentially less-than-yummy peanut butter.

Have you tried SmartBalance? It has added flax as well.

Julia said...

We are almost peanut butter junkies at my house! I will be back. :)

Anonymous said...

November? If this natural stuff has no preservatives it is likely past its 'best before' date by now ... oh, Happy New Year!

candlemamma said...

Hubby and grandkids just love peanut butter. I am all for flavor. Great info about using Bad textured PB for baking
All My Best!

Wilson said...

I just discovered this peanut butter too recently when my father bought it from the store. Definitely yummy! My only worry is that the packaging does not have "please refrigerate after opening." This peanut butter definitely must be refrigerated. Trust me. I know from experience.

Little Bill said...

This peanut butter does NOT have to be refrigerated, contrary to what E.E. says. Good luck trying to spread it if you do. In this litigious society there's no way it wouldn't say "refrigerate after opening" if it needed to be.

But don't take my word for it. Visit the "Naturally More" website and read the faq. I've never refrigerated ANY peanut butter, preservatives or not, and I've never had problems with any of them.

Anonymous said...

Good review - although I have found that the oil content varies greatly from jar to jar, and the "grittiness" in texture is actually due to the flax seeds, not due to the actual texture of the peanut butter itself. Don't think of it as gritty, think of it as crunchy! :)

Anonymous said...

Naturally more just changed their nutrition facts label to increase calorie and fat counts. Apparently, they just re-tested it, and it was never as low fat as promised. The label now lists it as having 200 calories, 15g fat per serving.

Anonymous said...

You are saying that it was never the correct nutritional information? That is, is should have been listed as having 200 calories when they had it listed at 169?