No Peanut Butter for Expectant Moms?

Sunday, July 20, 2008

If you're pregnant or know someone who is, you've likely heard about the latest food scare. In a recent study conducted by The American Thoracic Society, pregnant women who ate nut products at least several times a week were found to have children who are 50 percent more likely to develop asthma. You can read an abstract of the published journal article for free, or the complete text for $10.

While the scientists caution that further studies need to be done before any official warnings are put into place, that's not going to make a peanut butter-loving expectant mother worry any less. So what should you do? First, don't panic. Second, it's probably not a good idea to eat peanut butter on a daily basis if you're pregnant. Cut back to a serving of peanut butter once or twice a month. And remember, it's only temporary--after your beautiful, healthy baby is born, you can resume your peanut butter-fest.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how much stock I put in these scare reports. I ate lots of peanut butter when I was pregnant (LOTS, as in pretty much every day). My daughter just turned 19 and still has not developed ANY kind of respiratory problems. So... I wonder.

Anonymous said...

I'm not an expectant mum just yet, but I'll certainly remember these findings, as I love eating peanut butter and other related products that have nuts in them!

Thanks for posting this.

Unknown said...

I'm not a peanutbutter-lover and one of my kids still has asthma.

There are so many bad research projects, that I don't care for such messages.

Healthy eating involves changing what you eat every day.
That's what I do.

DebbieDana said...

I love peanut butter, and I still ate it when I got pregnant..So far, my 5 months old baby doesn't have any allergy..He's a very healthy baby.

Debbie
A Fil-Am Journey
http://www.ddschroeder.com

Anonymous said...

oooh, I wonder how much truth there is to that. My friend is pregnant with baby #2 and her first is allergic to peanut butter....She is a PB&J girl, even though her daughter is allergic....I will have to pass that on to her just in case....Good info!